When building an integration between a webshop and Ongoing WMS it is common to use the Ongoing WMS API. The image below describes a simple flow covering the basic functions taking place in a typical webshop integration.
The basic steps are as follows:
- A new article is added to the system by the administrator.
- The webshop notifies the 3PL provider, i.e. the warehouse, using ProcessArticle. Note that the same function is used when updating an article.
- The warehouse worker receive goods with the new article.
- GetInventory is used by the webshop to query the warehouse articles and stock levels.
- The warehouse management system (WMS) returns the articles and current stock to the webshop.
- A customer can now place an order containing the new article.
- An order is created in the WMS using ProcessOrder by the webshop.
- The warehouse worker is notified that an order has been created and picks the articles for the order.
- The order is sent to the transporter.
- The transporter replies with tracking information.
- The webshop uses GetOrder to get information about the order.
- The WMS returns the tracking information.
- The customer is notified that the order has been shipped.
- The transporter delivers the shippment to the customer.